View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Unhappy

I have a comment.

Many years ago an antipsychotic was used as a tranquilizer, mostly by OBGYNs for women. It was called Stelazine. The antipsychotic dose was 5mg and up. (this was related to Compazine and Thorazine and was a dopamine antagonist like them). It is not on your list, but should be.

The doses commonly used for sedation, were 1mg or 2mg in comparison.

My aunt, the youngest of 3 sisters, was on this for a long time.
I remember when I was first licensed in the early '70s we had this drug in the fast mover shelf in bottles of 500.

Of course, slowly this was replaced by Librium and Valium and other benzos. But the older doctors clung to Stelazine for quite a while.

Well, years later, my aunt was diagnosed with beginning Parkinson's at a local teaching hospital complex. At that time she was becoming quite depressed (family issues) and sadly committed suicide. I've lived with this sad story most of my adult life... and have always thought the Stelazine was at fault.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (06-14-2011)