View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default reply to dOgma

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gma View Post
Thanks for your comments. I wonder if the electric stimuli supplied by the device replaces what the sinemet was doing hence no need to step down off sinemet? I have read a some but know that sometimes they choose differing sites for implanting electrodes for differing reasons and patient reaction during surgery. Very interesting. Did the activate your unit right away or did they wait until they got it right after a few weeks then tell you to stop l-dopa. I've heard some units are not activated until you are somewhat recovered.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your surgery went well.
I'm not in America where I believe the neurostimulators aren't implanted and later programmed for some time post surgery.
Charlie where are you? You know about these things!
I had the whole procedure, by that I mean electrodes implanted in the sub thalamic nucleus, usually the part of the brain where they're inserted in P.D. Plus leads and stimulators implanted in the sub clavicle area all in same day and my first programming session was the next day.
The agonist was stopped abruptly and completely with no problems on day 3 post op and I was on the highest dosage of permax 3 x daily.
I'm in no way endorsing trying this but I was in hospital so I assume any problems would've been observed.
I tapered off Sinemet myself as I knew that I wasn't in need of nearly as much of it anymore and as is policy I think in most hospitals for Parkinsonians I could self medicate. By week 3 or 4 I had neuros ok to stop it completely and as was the case with agonist drug caused me no problems.
Now several yrs down the track I'm on approx. 300-400mg Sinemet daily as opposed to pre surgery dose of 1,200mg.
The only thing I need it for now is to help address gait and balance problems which have resurfaced. I haven't had dystonia, akinesia or dyskinesia (which were a very difficult thing to deal with) since the surgery was done 7 1/2 yrs ago.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote