View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Folks,

Very interesting and valuable read.

While it seems like recovery depends on the individual and their specific circumstances, I'm wondering what guidelines most of you were given in terms of recovery and timing for the following:

1. Rest -- I would imagine your doctor's ordered you to do absolutely nothing for some period of time. Couple weeks?

2. Stretching / Manual Therapy -- At what point did you start doing range of motion movements? Have somebody execute manual therapy?

3. Strengthening -- At what point was it "safe" to start doing strengthening work to start rehabing the injury? After a month? Six weeks? Two months?

4. Back To Activities As Normal -- This would mean, whatever you were doing prior to the condition (i.e. riding your bike, playing tennis, etc.) you can now do safely. Three months post op? Six months?

Trying to get a general gauge in the case I have to have surgery myself. I need to fit this into my life so it has the least impact on my personal and professional situations.

Thanks in advance.

KY
Hi there
I can let you know what my doctor told me to do, although I'm sure doctors and guidelines vary from place to place...

1) I didn't get told specifically to rest, although I was told that I would probably feel quite out of it for a couple of weeks. They said that it really varies from person to person how much the op impacts on you - I was lucky and recovered quickly but I've read about a lot of people who have had taken a while to get back on their feet.

2) I saw the physiotherapist just before I was discharged from hospital (around 36h after the op) and she gave me exercises for my shoulder to do as often and soon as possible, to prevent it 'freezing'. It mostly consisted of lifting my arm and stretching my neck to improve the range of motion as it was very stiff to start with.

3) After a few weeks I was sent to a physiotherapist who carried on with getting my shoulder strength back and helping me with my range of motion. I saw her once a week for around 6 weeks I think, and she advised me that I could go to the gym and do light exercises as soon as I felt ready.

4) This again, I think, must vary a lot depending on exactly what op you have/any complications and prior health etc, I got back to uni after about 2.5 weeks (walking the 3-4 miles there and back!) and the gym a couple of weeks after this. I built up slowly as I didn't want to overdo it. I would say it took at least 3-4 months before I could do pretty much everything again, although I got some problems with muscle cramping after prolonged standing for 6 months or so.

Hope this is helpful

Bex
BexUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote