View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Bex,

Very helpful.

I read somewhere that you consider yourself a "gym bunny" so I am definitely interested in your recovery details. I too am a gym bunny and consider myself to be in great shape. I'm hoping this beneifts me if I need to go the surgical route.

I was told that I don't have any rib issues and this would be more of a scalenectonomy along with some potential subclavian artery repair work (maybe).

Two weeks of complete rest, with PT starting at six weeks, and then full recovery by 3 to 4 months sounds reasonable. If I need this done, I was thinking of doing it post summer/early fall. With any luck, that would have me on the rebound after new years.

Thanks much!

KY

P.S. Bex...tried sending you a PM...couldn't for some reason.
Hi KY

I think good general fitness definitely makes a big difference to recovering, guess it means you have more reserves... I'm now 10 months post op and have been back to my normal fitness routine for a good number of months (including gym, judo, etc). I have numbness on that side of my chest and on my shoulder which I think is permanent, but it hasn't made any difference to my general fitness or ability to do anything.

Out of interest, I posted some photos of my scar on this site (paste "thread148013.html")

Like I mentioned on that thread - it actually is a bit wider and whiter now, but almost completely flat

Bex

PS I'm not sure why you couldn't PM - I've added you as a friend so hopefully you'll be able to now.
BexUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote