View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Your family needs to know what is going on with you because it is a part of the inventory of issues/stressors that your family is dealing with. Even if they have not known the full reason, they are still dealing with your symptoms.

Maybe you can have the sit-down and say: "I am struggling with the symptoms of my 7 concussions. I just need everyone to understand why I am acting and feeling the way I do. There is not much that can be done medically except maybe some help with the depression symptoms. I am laying my cards on the table so that nobody is caught off-guard if I have a serious increase in symptoms. "

You can print out the TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com Highlight the parts that describe what you are dealing with.

The last thing your family needs right now is for you to have a melt-down and they do not know why. They need to understand how they can help you. Simple things like giving you time to rest, maybe some effort to avoid conflict, etc. Your family will do much better when you are all pulling together. Even the weak can get things done when they pull together. Good communication is the first step.

I bet your friend with the adrenal problem knows you have something going on. Hiding it only increases his confusion and stress. Share with him that you understand his struggles because you are struggling with your Post Concussion/Multiple Concussion symptoms. You can be good support for each other. You can both grow in your personal strength and maturity as you deal with these struggles, together.

Be objective, not emotional. Matter of fact rather than 'woe is me.' Support each other rather than hide from each other. Your BF likely saw the changes in you so why wouldn't he?

The same drive you have used to keep playing sports despite adversity can be directed to support for each other.

Hope you can help each other.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote