View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hard to say from what you've written.

It is not at all uncommon for children who have autism to have various different types of movements including tics and stereotyped movements. Some children with tic disorders can have problems that may appear to other people as if their eyes are not focused. My son is on autism spectrum and also has another condition that affects movement and a lot of his eye tics involved movement of the actual eye balls, not just his eye lids. Plus he used to "space out" a lot when younger which could have possibly looked like seizure activity to onlookers, but was actually something else altogether.

Some people who have tics can tic in their sleep despite some very old information that's still around online saying that tics are not present in sleep. That old information is not correct.

Not sure what you mean exacly by "She has smell senses, and goes out". Sensory issues are also common in autism however, if she has a sudden disturbance of smell (or taste?) and then passes out, then this has nothing to do with autism or tics.

If this was my child I'd be getting another opinion. If I'm reading your message correctly and the child is in fact passing out then I'd be looking into that as fast as I could. As far as I know, seizures are not uncommon in children on autism spectrum either.

As far as anxiety issues are concerned, that's not uncommon in a lot of these conditions either. I have full blown panic attacks, but have never passed out from one yet, although I have felt as if I was dying. They certainly do affect breathing with hyperventilation though, which in turn affects heart beat and a lot of other things. I even get an aura prior to my anxiety attacks which does heighten my senses... a little like before I get a migraine. In fact some of the sensory activity that I get prior to both has often made me wonder about seizure activity for myself.

I know little from experience about seizure disorders, apart from what I've learned in regard to their association with other conditions in my own family. I would suggest perhaps reposting over on the Epilepsy board here to see if this rings any bells to everyone over there.

As I said, I'd not be putting this down to anxiety or to a movement disorder if she's passing out totally, but I'm not sure if you meant that she is doing that.

Let us know what happens.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote