View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Genital Neuropathy, herniated disk

I had a second diskectomy of l5/s1 about a month ago, due to a reherniated disk. I had some unique symptoms including genital numbness on one side along with the sciatica, foot tingling, etc.

My surgeon said he was very pleased with how it went and he doesn't think it will ever reherniate as long as I don't do anything crazy.

I am about 1 month post op and honestly my pain is virtually gone, sciatica 100%, lil back pain problems sitting extended, but its getting better and better.

I feel like the surgery made the tingling quite a bit worse in the genital area and toes, its very hard to ignore. Im sure you guys know what I mean, but its like a huge stinging/pinching/tingling sensation.

I just saw my surgeon and he told me the back/ sitting issue will go away completely. He said the tingling will go away 100% but it could take up to 3 years and he can't answer if lost sensation will return. He did listen to me and all but there's really only so much he can do and he believes the surgery went excellent.

It kind of scares me though, 3 years is a long time to deal with this, I am hoping it goes away at least a little bit. If it gets any worse, its going to really interfere with sexual function too.

I guess I am just lost, I don't know what to expect, what I can do, etc. I wonder if things will actually get better or if they are stuck worse...

Walking definitiely seems to make it diminish a bit so Ive been walking a mile or two here and there. I realize im only a month out and this can be a long process. Ive been taking motrin to help with inflammation which i believe is a factor, but thats all I can really do. Ive seen the vitamin recommendations here and have been supplementing for some time.
phenom34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote