Thread: Elevated B12
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

This is a reminder about lab values and vitamin testing.

The ranges that labs report were done on people NOT taking any supplements.

If you take a supplement, then you would expect to see higher reported values than a person not taking ANYTHING.

The original poster reveals that she was taking prenatal vits and getting B12 injections! So yes, one would expect a higher blood level.

Anyone with intact intrinsic factor (no autoimmune disease destroying it), will absorb 500 MCG daily B12 well, and it would show up in testing. There is NOTHING in the literature about B12 being harmful in higher than "normal range" amounts in people.

Doctors don't really understand B12. That is the bottom line.
So do some research on your own, to help you understand the meaning of your blood work.

Here is a good resource to start with:
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ns/vitaminB12/

Remember, doctors are not trained much concerning nutritional issues. They are not chemists and do not have much chemical experience. They rely on lab ranges and the flags labs provide to test results. Since these flagged items are typically serious in medicine they become habituated to any red flag in test results.
They basically do NOT understand therefore, when a non serious item is flagged.

In a person NOT taking fortified foods, vitamins or B12 supplements in any form, testing high in B12 levels, may indicate one of the rare conditions I listed to in the beginning of this thread. But for those taking some form of B12 or eating it in fortified foods, a high reading is not alarming.

Here is a little personal factoid:
I was testing out the new methyl B12 offered by Puritan's Pride now. This is very inexpensive and I wanted to see if it really worked.
So I took 5mg orally on an empty stomach for 3 months, and then had my B12 tested. My own doctor who is always curious about my supplement interest, assured me that oral B12 does not work! (that is what she learned in med school, many years ago). Well my test was 1999...the upper limit that lab could reach. In the past with no supplements many years ago I tested at 849 (this test was done prior to starting metformin, which is known to lower B12 levels in many people). That result was in the upper normal range, and expectable since I don't use acid lowering drugs, and I eat alot of animal source foods. So ...my doctor now understands that oral B12 works when taken correctly. It is my understanding that B12 tests from labs cannot exceed 2000...as that is as high as the calibration takes it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote