View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Well, today was really something. They did not give him the infusion until 4 p.m. Something about the pharmacy screwing up or something to that effect. I was sitting in the visitor’s chair when the nurse brings in the infusion thing and she goes: “he’s getting a 24 hour infusion”. I said “he’s getting what??? Why??, he’s supposed to be getting a 6 hour infusion once a day”. She says to me “No, the computer says 24 hours.” I ask her “let’s check with the pharmacy just to make sure”. She put the machine at 29.17 ml/hr over 24 hours.

Five minutes later, she comes back and says: “There has been a mistake, he’s supposed to get this for 6 hours. She corrects the machine. I wrote everything down.

Here is what the IVIG bag says: EXACTA MIX , EVA CONTAINER

Gamimune-N/POLYGF M) Total volume 700/ml

Made by Baxa Corp.

Now the machine (after she readjusted it) said: 116.2 over 6 hours.

I have no idea what might have happened if she left it for 24 hours. God only knows.

Oh, I just spoke to Alan and he said “the machine broke, it reads OCCLUSION, and they are trying to fix it.”

God help him in this place!!!

Melody

P.S Alan had his flu shot several months ago. I'll run that by Dr. Fred if Alan continues the home infusion thing.

P.P.S. Just googled Gamimune.

What are the possible side effects of Gamimune?
• Gamimune is made from human plasma (part of the blood) and may contain infectious agents (e.g., viruses) that can cause disease. Although Gamimune is screened, tested, and treated to reduce the possibility that it carries an infectious agent, it can still potentially transmit disease. Discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of using Gamimune.
• Treatment with Gamimune has been associated with the development of kidney problems, sometimes resulting in kidney failure and/or death. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop decreased urination, sudden weight gain, fluid retention or swelling, or shortness of breath. These may be signs of kidney problems.
• Rare cases of aseptic meningitis syndrome (AMS) have been associated with the use of Gamimune. Notify your doctor immediately if you experience severe headache, neck stiffness, drowsiness, fever, eye sensitivity to light, painful eye movements, and nausea or vomiting. These may be signs of AMS. Stopping treatment with Gamimune has resulted in resolution of AMS without any lasting problems.
• Notify your doctor immediately if you experience a rare but serious allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives) to Gamimune.
• Other less serious side effects may also occur. Upon injection of the medication, some patients experience the following:
· anxiety;
· flushing or sweating;
· stomach cramps;
· muscle or joint pain;
· dizziness;
· nausea or vomiting;
· fever or chills; or
· pain, tenderness, or irritation at the injection site.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

I WONDER IF I SHOULD SHOW THIS TO ALAN. Can't dot it!!!He's too vulnerable right now, he'll think he's coming down with all the side effects mentioned here. Jeeeeezzzz

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote