View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Default Duragesic good for some people

Hi, everybody:

I have RSD in my left knee/leg. This syndrome is responsible for severe chronic pain, which is controlled very well by Duragesic (fentanyl patches). I use Duragesic at the dosage of 125 mcg (one 100 mcg patch and one 25 mcg patch every 72 hours). I am sooo glad that my primary care physician is knowledgeable and caring enough to prescribe this medication for me. The fentanyl patches have proven to be lifesavers for me because they have allowed me to live a life worth being called "life".

I do not have cancer pain and I never had cancer pain. Duragesic is not just indicated for people with cancer pain. Here is what you can find on the paper that comes in every box of fentanyl patches.

.................................................. .................................................. ....
DURAGESICョ (fentanyl transdermal) is indicated for management of persistent, moderate to severe chronic pain that:
瓶equires continuous, around-the-clock opioid administration for an extended period of time, and
苗annot be managed by other means such as non-steroidal analgesics, opioid combination products, or immediate-release opioids.

DURAGESICョ (fentanyl transdermal) should ONLY be used in patients who are already receiving opioid therapy, who have demonstrated opioid tolerance, and who require a total daily dose at least equivalent to DURAGESICョ (fentanyl transdermal) 25 mcg/h. Patients who are considered opioid-tolerant are those who have been taking, for a week or longer, at least 60 mg of morphine daily, or at least 30 mg of oral oxycodone daily, or at least 8 mg of oral hydromorphone daily or an equianalgesic dose of another opioid.

Because serious or life-threatening hypoventilation could occur, DURAGESICョ (fentanyl transdermal system) is contraindicated:
品n patients who are not opioid-tolerant
品n the management of acute pain or in patients who require opioid analgesia for a short period of time
品n the management of post-operative pain, including use after out-patient or day surgeries (e.g., tonsillectomies)
品n the management of mild pain
品n the management of intermittent pain (e.g., use on an as needed basis [prn]).
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Of course, I can understand that some people do not tolerate Duragesic and its possible side effects. First, this medication used to give me very severe nausea and vomiting, which I had to live with for months so my pain could be effectively controlled. Now the nausea and vomiting seem to be gone; I have not had problems with these side effects for years (I have been using this medication for about 8 years and a half).

If someone cannot tolerate Duragesic, that person should just tell their doctor to stop prescribing it for them. It does not mean that ALL doctors should not prescribe this medication for ANYBODY that does not have cancer pain. What would the people with severe chronic non-cancer pain do without this medication, especially in cases when this medication is the only one that works?

Yes, Duragesic can be dangerous for some people. So can many other pain medications be. In my case, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories drugs) can be dangerous for me. They can even kill me. It is not a reason for me to tell doctors to stop prescribing it for anybody, right? What would a person needing an NSAID say if he/she could not get access to his/her medication anymore?

One more thing: it is not pain patients' fault if some people abuse Duragesic to get high on it. Personally, I have never gotten a high from this medication.

Priscilla
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote