View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I read, and I also crochet and knit. I've been crocheting longer than I've been knitting. Learned to crochet when I was 5 or 6yrs old and it's been my favorite hobby ever since. I only learned to knit in 2006, the weekend that my MS made itself known to me with some optic neuritis.

Wasnt going to do anything with the knitting at first, but the day after I learned, I woke up with a giant blind spot in my eye. Was freaked out and to keep myself calm, I had my dad stop at the yarn store on my way to the eye doctor and I bought myself some circular needles (2 needles held together with a plastic cable) and some really ugly yarn. I didnt have my color vision at the time so I didnt know just how ugly the yarn was. Knitted a scarf over the next several months as I got diagnosed. My dad claimed the Ugly Scarf and uses it every winter now. Says it's the warmest scarf he's ever had.

Other hobbies that I have are sewing. I have a machine and a huge stash of fabric, but I havent sewn anything for awhile. I cant make clothes, but I can do some really basic quilting. I need to get my machine out and play with it some more.

I want to learn another hobby. Japanese braiding that's called "Kumihimo". You use a loom, either a plastic disk you hold in your hand, or a wooded one that stands on the floor. I want to get the wooden loom, called a "marudai", and learn it that way. I'm going to make my own loom. Going to go to a garage sale and see if I can get a wooden stool for cheap. Then I'm going to drill a hole in the seat to make the loom. I'll have to sand that down so the wood isnt rough.

Hope that I can find a wooden stool soon. My dad said he'd drill the hole for me, as long as I'm the one who sands it.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (06-19-2011), SallyC (06-19-2011), tkrik (06-19-2011)