Thread: VP Shunt
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by res5562965 View Post
I had to have a vp shunt due to hydrocephalus caused by Chiari I malformation. I have had 8 shunt surgeries since it was 1st placed in 11/2010.
I was diagnosed with Chiari I malformation after a MRI showed the condition. Also diagnosed with Arnold's Chiari which means that my spinal fluid was not leaving my head. I was 48 years old when diagnosed after having headaches and eventually passing out when ever I coughed, sneezed, gagged, or vomited. The shunt did relieve the pressure in my head but did not help with the pain when sneezing, coughing, etc. I had Chiari Decompression surgery in 2/2011 and that corrected the above problems noted. Chiari is hard to diagnose even with a MRI. After being told originally by a neurologist that my problem was a pinched nerve and later after I started passing out that it was not neurological I returned to my Family Physician and HE listened to me! He ordered another MRI and the radiologist diagnosed Chiari I malformation. I was then referred to another neurosurgeon that verified the Chiari and immediately inserted the VP shunt. The 7 shunt surgeries included the insertion, revisions, and 19 days in hospital with infection in my brain due to the tube in by abdomen becoming coiled and not allowing the fluid to flow. After all this and still having Chiari symptons, I decided to have the Chiari Decompression (8th surgery) and I am doing alot better. Just praying the shunt does not malfunction in any way.
Sorry, 8 shunt surgeries and the Chiari Decompression was the 9th surgery from 11/2010 to 2/2011
res5562965 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote