View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I was told it was "probably" CFS or Fibromyalgia since I have so many trigger points that stay tender. I also have a migraine syndrome, so they were quite surprised when the MRI came back with some lesions. I had been gluten free for a long time when that scan was originally done, so it wasnt food allergies for me.

The best thing you can do is be patient, and wait for this result before you worry about the next result. Take notes, and LOTS of them! keep a journal. This way you are not saying "I think it was last week that my foot dropped" you can point to an actual date, and time with symptoms.

Being dx with MS or not MS is a process. There are more than 100 diseases that can mimic MS including the lesions. The MD will look at this book of 100 and start ruling out the ones that can be quickly ruled out thru a quickie blood test. Vitamin def, lyme, lupus, RA...then if still faced with no real answer will dig into the other 50 and start kicking around things like sjoghrens, phorphria, and the like. If he is unable to find those markers they move on to things that dont have markers or tests that can confirm them. They must use their best guess based on YOUR sx (remember MS is like fingerprints we all have different ones) and start to make a "probable" cause for what is happening to you. Devics, MS, and so on. Sometimes they hit it right on the head, and bingo! you fall into the right catagory. sometimes even with a new label it doesnt fit correctly and you keep struggling.

So, as you can see its a slow process that can take months, sometimes years to get a yes or a no. The abscense of lesions doesnt mean you dont have MS. It doesnt mean you do have MS, it depends on their placement, size, do they light up with Gad dye...so, as you can see its not as easy as one MRI and the book opens to the right page.

To complicate things further many of us have multiple conditions layered into each other. CFS, plus fibro, plus RA, plus lyme.

Best advice, is to pick out an MS center who deals in the complexities of this horrible disease and let them shake it out. LEt the big boys read the MRI scans, the blood work, the Xrays, and put their over educated, well paid degrees to work.

I hope you get some answers.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Freesia38 (06-20-2011), SallyC (06-20-2011)