View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktur View Post
My 14 year old daughter developed hydrocephalus in November and had a VP shunt placed. they have no idea what caused theproblem. She just bega having nausea ad headaches. Sh s doing well with a few problems and wondering about them. Sometimes when she wakes up she is nauseaus and throws up.... anyone have this? Afterward she feels fine. She feels hungry ALOT and feels like she needs to eat slowly. Thanks
I have never had headaches & numbness until Jan 2010 and it started with a clicking noise in my head. Then, It was a continuous pain in a specific place in my head, a pressure pain like someone had their fist inside my head pushing to the top of my head, mine on the left top.I also experienced numbness in the left side of my face. I was diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation 11/2010. I then had a MRI with a study of the flow of Spinal Fluid and that is when I was also diagnosed with Arnold's Chiari 11/2010. My Chiari was causing my spinal fluid not to flow and causing the pressure in my head (hydrocephelus)(Arnold's Chiari) Immediately 11/2010 they put a shunt in my head to let the fluid flow instead of being trapped in my head (immediate relief). It took almost a year to get the correct diagnosis and a different doctor to diagnosis it correctly. The shunt relieved the pressure pain but did not relieve all my symptons. Pain when I sneezed, coughed, or gagged. That was from the Chiari where my "brain tonsils" were pushed through the opening in the base of my skull due to my skull being too small for my brain. I then had Chiari decompression surgery 2/2011 where they make the opening @ base of skull larger and removed a part of my vertebrae to give my brain more room. This surgery helped with the remaining pain I was experiencing. I still have to have the shunt because the aquaducts that allow flow are small and have evidently gotten smaller with age. I was 48 when all this began. It usually effects people earlier since it's a congenital condition (born with it). The doctors have no idea why it affected me at such late age since I don't remember any injury to my head. I have had 8 shunt surgeries from 11/2010-10/2011. The first sign that the shunt is malfunctioning is vomiting. Hope this information is useful.
res5562965 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote