View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_clever View Post
I was on Neurontin for I guess 3-4 years for RSD, doses as high as 5400mg/day. The doctors denied it caused memory problems; I have very little clear recollection of that time period, had occassionally nasty aphasia while on it, and my memory hasn't been quite up to par since. They denied it caused weight gain; I gained over 100 lbs. on it, which didn't start coming off until I switched to Gabitril. And though I had no known history of seizures before taking it, I had at least one (possibly two) full-blown tonic-clonic seizure after I had been on it for a couple years.

God, I hate that drug.
I've been on Neurontin for 5 years and have no weight gain problems; that said, I of course was not on 5400mg a day. To start I was on 1200mg. I had the slurring and I was unable to lift my head of the bed.

After a couple of weeks I stabilised and came good. I still take it, I have bilateral myclonus (which I had before I took it), and nightime TC which I had before the Neurontin too, Just uncontrolled seizures, simple partial, complex partial, myoclonus and night time TC. All of those were apparent years before I took neurontin so I guess I'm lucky really.

A safe dose level was advised so my doc reduced me to 800mg a day. My pain is worse since then and it is awful burning nerve pain. I do have peripheral neuralgia and fibromyalgia but had that for 20 yrs.

I think too that because we are individuals what suits one will not suit another. But I would NEVER give medical advice, I'm not a doctor. Best of luck with your treatment.

RhiannonsMoon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote