View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So sorry you and your family are going through this. I am currently a PCS victim of 8 weeks. But i am also an ICU nurse, and for a few years, my specialty was Neurosurgery, so i have had countless pts with SDH and SAH. They are very debilitating conditions alone, but together, along with other traumas to his body will make him feel completely out of control. No control over his emotions, health, his thoughts, his body, inability to work....all things that can wreak havoc on a mans self esteem and confidence. I always have SAH patients for 2-4 weeks in the ICU due to vasospasm and i always see the same thing....they all become withdrawn, short, moody, agitated, and irritable. Its inevitable. The normal neurotransmitters their brains produce and normal synapses are not firing as they should be. If the injury was in the front of his head, a frontal injury....the personality changes are even more severe as that is where our emotions, impulse control, decision making, and planning all come from. Frontal injuries are usually the cause of severe personality changes. I agree with the last post about looking into antidepressants....its not a show of defeat or being weak, but just because his brain does not have the ability to produce those chemicals needed to keep us even or mild tempered. Best of luck to you, and remember this is a long road. He is still in there, it will just take time.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote