View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Mrs. D, Dahlek and everybody. Hope you are doing well!!!

Just spoke to Alan this morning. It was 9 a.m. and he was eating his breakfast. He had been given the second infusion at 4 p.m. it became occluded but they fixed it. I had thought (well, it's 4 p.m. so probably they will give him his third infusion at 4 p.m. on Friday, right??) I asked the nurse and she said "oh I have no idea, we never know, it's what is in the computer.
So I left yesterday, mistakenly thinking that the third infursion will be given today at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

Well, I just spoke to him during his breakfast and he goes, "guess what, I am on my third infusion". I said "really????" they don't have to wait 24 hours before they give you another one (this is where I get confused). He said "well, apparently not, I'm on the third one, and guess what? my feet feel great". I was a bit skeptical because yesterday he told me his feet felt good during the second infusion but then when he laid on his back the pins and needles came back (but not so severe).

See, his problem is positioning. He is fine if he is at the gym, walking around (well, usually he is fine). But if he lays flat on his back or goes into a sitting position, he says his feet are "doing a dance". That's his expression. I remember telling his neurologist, "doesn't this indicate a back problem" and she would say:"well, it could be both". I remember thinking "both???" who has "BOTH". So who the hell knows.

BUT, just now he was explaining. "Melody, I can lay on my back, it doesn't hurt any more". Now this could mean, 1., it's starting to kick in and it will work, or 2. he is psychologically convincing himself that it's working (believe me, Alan is capable of this). What's the word when a person is easily persuaded that he's getting better but it's all in his mind. There's a word but I can't think of it. 3. It is working, but it comes and goes intermittently.

I have no idea. But the good thing is obvious. He can tolerate it. At least so far. And thats the important thing. Because, believe me, if I had truly read what Gamimune can do do a body, I don't think I would have encouraged him. But he was gung ho and he's had this for 18 years and he needs some thing to live for, so why not this.

OH I have to tell you another funny story. The guy next to Alan is a man (stroke victim, named Abdul). he speaks no english. And the doctors can't get him to do anything and he won't let any female nurses or aides near him. He pushes everybody away. Well, the other night, Alan swears he heard him speaking english in hushed tones over his phone. Now the guy (to outward appearances can't speak a word of english or anything else). His native tongue is FULANI, and it is in a big sign over his bed. Patient Speaks Fulani.

So after all the visitors leave, the guy is now unresponsive to the doctors. Three doctors come in and they are trying to get the guy to stand up and get back in bed. He would have none of it. One of the nurses says out loud "I think he speaks French besides his arabic. Now what other language does Melody speak???? FRENCH.!!!!!!

Since this guy won't let any female touch him (clean him, change his bed, ANYTHING!!!), the nurses got disgusted and left him. The doctor couldn't get him to do anything. I said "Mind if I try, I speak French"!!! They look at me like I've lost my mind, and I go to the guy "Excusez-moi, monsieur, ecoutez l'homme, levez-vous, and respondez, s'il vous plaites". translated that amounts to, please get up, listen to the man, and do what he says, please!!!!

The guy knew what they wanted him to do, he just didn't want to do it. The look on the guy's face when I addressed him in french was priceless. But he still wouldn't go along. Two men had to come in and physically put him in the bed.

I learned french for a job over 35 years ago and since all the Access-a-ride drivers speak French,I get to speak it almost every day so it's no problem for me. Although it drives Alan crazy when he's home, and I come home from a ride on the access-a-ride and after speaking french for an hour, I forget my english, I walk in the house and I start speaking french to Alan. He simply sighs.

and thanks guys for listening to me and my updates on Alan. You guys are always the best!!!!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by kimmydawn; 03-13-2007 at 10:21 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote