View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know that I would call mine successfull as in remission of mg, but I do know I would be dead right now if I had not had the thymectomy - but that's just me.

Diagnosed in 2000 and was told that at 50, I was to old for a thymectomy to do much good. MG progressed until 2005 when I had a crisis and had IVIG for the first time. Long story short, I had to have other surgery in my thorasic area and I insisted that if they had to open my chest, they could take out the thymus too - neuro agreed but we had to convince the surgeon that even though the CT scan didn't show any problems with the thymus, it wouldn't hurt to remove it.

Turns out I had a Stage II tumor in the thymus and because they got clean margins, I didn't have any chemo, just 28 radiation treatments. The MG was better for a couple of years, still did mestinon and cellcept, but was able to cut way nack on the IVIG. However, I have had a lot of problems the last few years amd retired on disability last fall.

Don't know if this helps, just wanted to give my experience. Hope you find the answer for you.
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
draggin' (06-23-2011)