View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

eddyx77,

The point to accepting the limitations is not to just go on with life as if nothing had happened. It is to define and accept the limitations so that you can start building a set of skills and tools )work-arounds and accommodations) so that those limitations have less impact on your life.

I have undergone many downward steps since my first injury in 1965. That was 46 years ago. I can't tell you all of the work-arounds and accommodations I use daily because I can no longer tell most of them from my previous ways of living. I still live a very full life only limited by my driving limitations and some financial limitations.

The constant wondering about symptoms and what they truly are leads to frustration. Getting a good neuro-psych assessment so that you have a good understanding of how your brain is and isn't functioning helps as a start.

I have very little visual or auditory short term or immediate memory. before I fully understood this, I was constantly trying to live as if those memory functions were working correctly. Now, I use other skills to make up for these limits.

There is a book written by a concussion survivor that has 365 tips and tricks for living with brain injury. Here is an Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Injury-S...8889040&sr=1-1

From what I understand, Dr Sullivan is no longer practicing medicine but has learned to go on living.

Tell us about your more frustrating limitations. Someone here will have some ideas for you to try.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
crgravitt (07-04-2011)