View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Frustrated with doctors...

I am undiagnosed - symptoms going on over 5 years.
First I was dismissed with IBS, back when I was able to deal with the symptoms better.
Over the last 3 years I have gone to a gastrointeroligist, primary care doc, gynecologist, colon/rectal surgeon, allergist and therapist.
I have had
endoscopy - h.pylori, treated with antibiotics
hydascan - low function, but in normal range
fecal smear test - normal
colonoscopy - pre-cancerous polyps removed. no regrowth within year. 2nd test clear.
scratch test - allergy to shellfish & tomatos - not helpful to issue
internal ultrasound- clear
laproscopy - clear for endometriosis, removed appendix for discoloration
Cat scan - small ulcer not related to pain issue. normal
Blood work - normal (low iron - had slight anemia all my life)

After all that both my gastro and gyno said there was nothing else they could do for me.
I went back to my primary that suggested I was having neuropathy in my large intestine and prescribed Cymbalta 60mg and Byntl 20mg.

I have since stopped both medications, with doctor's approval.
This is the good time of year for me. I don't have the issues often, so I have been trying to make the best out of it and work and play hard.
My problem is the last 2 doctor visits the doc was only concerned with my weight. When I discussed lowering the Cymbalta down to the 30mg because the nausea was too great, and it was concerning my appetite. I wouldn't eat at all some days. He was too consumed that I had lost 5 lbs since I saw him 2 weeks before. I dismissed his misdirected concern, and continued down our path. When I went back most recently his focus was again around my need to lose weight. I am overweight.
I fall just over that obese line the doctors draw. Healthy can be at the 30% bmi on the high end of the scale, and I fall at 33%. We are not making any headway toward discovering why I'm having pain and I am incredibly frustrated.
My problem comes in that I really hate trying to find a new doctor. Most of them haven't listened, or have even given me bad instruction. I'm not searching for pills or a way to get out of work, but it seems that's the attitude I get when discussing my issue with a new doc.
My issue flared this week, and I have been in bed for 5 days, and I MUST go into work tomorrow - regardless of how I feel.
I need to get this issue addressed asap so I am not missing more work, but I am feeling very defeated, and beaten by both my intestinal pain and by the medical professionals supposedly there to help me.
Someone please let me know some words of wisdom to help me keep fighting the good fight. I know what needs to be done, I just seem to be using all my energy battling my own body. Words of encouragement will help...

-----------------------------------Symptoms------------
Lower left abdominal pain - mostly severe, a good day is 5 or 6 pain level
fatigue - not just tired, can not get out of bed to brush teeth kind of exhaustion.
hot flashes - not related to any usual female concerns
dizziness
shakiness/weakness when I push through the fatigue/dizziness/hotflashes
stress seems to aggravate the symptoms to a worse condition
little red blood freckles
chronic conjunctivitis of the eye
insomnia
situational depression
abbyrition is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote