View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Big claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
I guess Ron Hutton will know about this. He has been asking about intranasal delivery for so long that maybe he was the first to ever suggest it!
Lyndy,
This research has the signatures of a number of European universities, so I suppose it has certain credibility. Even though it is still rat tests but the claims are remarkable and wish that US or Canadian research would repeat and expedite the results.
I quote:
"In this groundbreaking study, mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) delivered via the nose preferentially migrated to the brain and were able to survive for at least 6 months. Substantial improvement in motor function -- up to 68% of normal -- was reported in the MSC-treated rat model of Parkinson disease. Levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine were significantly higher in affected rat brain regions exposed to MSCs compared to the non-treated brain regions, reported Lusine Danielyan and an international team of researchers from University Hospital of Tübingen, University of Göttingen Medical School, and University of Tübingen (Stuttgart, Germany; HealthPartners Research Foundation, St. Paul, MN; German University in Cairo, Egypt; Harvard University, Cambridge, MA; Institute of Molecular Biology NAS RA, Yerevan, Armenia; and Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland.

The authors explain that intranasal delivery of MSCs avoids the tissue trauma and related inflammation and brain swelling associated with surgical implantation of therapeutic stem cells. Importantly, this noninvasive delivery method would also make it possible to provide repeated stem cell treatments over time."