View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catie View Post
Refractory MG means that it is resistant to treatment.

Imuran is just one of the long-term immunosuppessants used to treat MG. Each person with MG is different in terms of how they respond to treatment. So there is really no "best medication" for MG. Imuran takes awhile to be effective (I think 3-6 months, maybe longer).

Also...when I was on prednisone my internist (who also specializes in endocrinology issues)gave me a glucometer so that I could monitor my fasting blood sugar at home. It's easy to learn how to do the test and you just need a drop of blood. You might want to ask your doctor about that.

Cate
Thanks Cate,

I think I will talk to the Neuro about Imuran because of my concerns with the prednisone. Since he has told me to go back up to the 15mg at breakfast and 15mg at lunch my face is puffing up more. I am extremely sensitive to so many things that I may re-act to drugs, chemicals, heat, light, sounds etc. than probably most people. Although, I know the side effects of Prednisone just aren't good for anyone. I do know I feel so much better on it and can actually function well enough to get my work done even if I have to take some breaks. I am also concerned about the blood sugar levels. I have been hypoglycemic most of my life and this can turn to diabetes. My Grandmother was Diabetic too.
Will talk to my docs about this. Great suggestion! Thank you, blondieslp
blondieslp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote