View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 14 year old just received VP shunt for hydrocephalus

I was dx'ed (diagnosed) with hydro at 30yrs of age,and because I was born in 1954, of course the technology wasn't there back in the 50's to diagnose this. I was shunted in 1984, and I still have issues today. Perhaps the dr. can give your daughter a perscription for something ( a pill) to eliviate her vomiting. Maybe keeping saltimes & a small can of sprite would help
You might try to feed her 5-6 small meals a day. You didn't say if she was on medications to prevent seizures or not....some seizure meds will cause your appetite to increase.

At 14 yrs of age,she is of course worried about how others will perceive her. Even though my parents didn't know what was wrong with me until I was 30 yrs old (and by that time I had married and had 3 children. After being shunted we were blessed with a 4th child,our third son) the best advice that my parents were given was to let me do whatever I felt I could, and ignore what I could not do....in other words, let me set the pace for my life. Another thing, don't let your daughter's illness affect you either. Some kids use an illness to be able to do things.....Treat you daughter as a normal child/teenager. She after all had a surgery, to sustain her life...she isn't chronically ill. Just continue to watch over her, don't hover over her.

IF some of the home remedy doesn't help, return to the doctor and ask for meds to help stop the vomiting ...or perhaps you could get some medication for nausea as well.

hope this helps !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktur View Post
My 14 year old daughter developed hydrocephalus in November and had a VP shunt placed. they have no idea what caused theproblem. She just bega having nausea ad headaches. Sh s doing well with a few problems and wondering about them. Sometimes when she wakes up she is nauseaus and throws up.... anyone have this? Afterward she feels fine. She feels hungry ALOT and feels like she needs to eat slowly. Thanks
JA1717 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote