View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default wore hard collar for 8 1/2 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Hi all. I had cervical spine surgery 2 weeks ago. The whole procedure went just fine, except for sore throat and swollen neck where the cut was made, I am also experiencing numbness under my chin and same pain and numbness pre ops from shoulder to fingers, he said that will take longtime to disappear. My Surgeon did not gave me instructions on how to behave and what to do during first 6 – 8 weeks after the surgery. He doesn't want me to wear collar brace for he doesn't believe on them.. I’m just wondering if anybody here experienced anything similar, and what you did during first 8 weeks after the surgery. BTW I do drive my car now and do things I normally do in our house except for heavy lifting..Thanks for your comments.
My neurosurgeon had me wearing a hard collar for 8 1/2 weeks after my ACDF. I have C5, C6, C7 fused with titanium plate and screws with cadaver bone. I am still not allowed to lift over 5 lbs and I'm at 12 wks post op now. I didn't drive until I was 9 wks post op. I'm shocked you aren't wearing a collar. I'm still not allowed to have physio therapy until the 6 month post op to allow for proper fusion. My neuro is probably over cautious, but he explained how much cleaning out he had to do and relieved a lot of pinched nerves. It takes 12 weeks for your bones to even begin to fuse to the plates.

Please be careful driving, I was told I could risk paralization if I was ever in a car accident during the first 3 months after surgery. If someone hit you from behind you would be in a heap of trouble.

Do you mind me asking where you live? I'm in Canada, I do find a big difference between different parts of the world and the rules to follow post op.

Good luck with your recovery. It's a long road back to being normal again.

Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote