View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by res5562965 View Post
I finally got a correct diagnosis 11/2010 after living with constant severe pressure pain in my head for over one year. I had many symptons one year prior to the pain in my head: constantly sleepy, hearing a clicking noise in my ear, numbness of face and head, confusion, mood swings, problems with walking and balance. I was diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation and Arnold's Chiari. Chiari will show up on a MRI if read correctly. After my Chiari diagnosis 11/2010, I had a MRI study of the spinal fluid in my head. That is when I was diagnosed a few days later with Arnold's Chiari. I had to immediately have a VP shunt put in my brain that allows the spinal fluid to flow to my abdomen. That gave me immediate relief from the pressure pain in my head. However, it did not get rid of the pressure pain in my head when I sneezed, coughed, gagged, or laughed. In Feb. 2011 I had Chiari Decompression surgery to make the opening at the base of my brain larger. I also had to have some verterbrae removed to relieve the "brain tonsils" from being herniated through the small opening at the base of my skull which was causing the remaining pressure pain. This is a congenital condition and the doctors have no idea why I never had any problems from it until age 48. It took several years for this to be correctly diagnosed. I hope this information helps someone that may be having the same problem. Unfortunately my short and long term memory and my eyesight have been affected due to all the pressure to my brain. I still have some pain but at least now it is not constant pain.
correction on date diagnosed 11/2009
res5562965 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote