View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I don't know how anyone with severe PN could paddle board and/or ride a bike! I would be very cautious with both of those activities. An injury could result, and cause severe damage to the ankle joints or bones in the foot, which may not heal well.
Thanks for the responses! Firstly, I don't think I was clear enough about one thing: all I have is numbness of the toes and feet. With the twice-a-year (so far) bout of searing pain on the ball of my left foot, I have not experienced *any* of the pain that seems to be part and parcel of most folks' PN. So, what my neurologist said, is that there's really nothing to be done for the numbness; he wasn't talking about pain.

Mrs. D: surfing is the *only* thing that keeps me sane in a rather insane world. Without it, I'd be a blubbering mess most of the time. So, I won't give it up unless I'm absolutely forced to. Plus, possibility of injury aside, isn't exercise good for one's joints? I know I'm losing muscle due to PN, but I like to think I'd be losing a lot more a lot more quickly w/out surfing and cycling.

From what you say, I'd gather that my PN is not nearly as severe as most people's here. But it is getting worse, I think. Which is why I asked about what things I should be doing to slow down the disease's progress as best I can.

Thanks again for any thoughts you might have.

Oh, here's a question. My neurologist has off and on talked about me getting a lumbar puncture to try to determine the cause of my PN. He's never pressed it very hard, just mentions it kind of casually. But ... is that something I should probably do? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do it? Thanks!

Last edited by linter; 06-29-2011 at 06:15 AM.
linter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote