View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I don't enjoy bringing up this topic so dramatically. In fact I tend to not demonstrate "what can happen" to posters who come here.

Attitude and positive thinking are really important in PN, because it is a long term problem and causes alot of despondent and depressing feelings of frustration.

But I do think that all people with PN should "baby" themselves to some extent. Your doctor(s) won't do that for you, and we in our culture place alot of emphasis on activities and exercise.

Getting adequate rest, eating cleanly by avoidance of sugar and high glycemic carbs, and getting the proper nutrients by supplements if necessary is part of the daily routine we all have to follow. Avoiding injury is also in that package, and I will confess those illustrations of Charcot foot, are enough to upset anyone.

I no longer bowl or play racketball/tennis. I can't hike on our shore anymore, or even walk long distances in one attempt without resting. I use a walking pole for stairs just about 100% of the time now, and outside when gardening. My balance is going and I know it. I wear super comfortable shoes/slippers, and I examine my feet carefully very often. Any blister or injury on my legs/feet get cleaned well with peroxide and covered with antibiotic ointment. (our new cat has been a huge challenge in this regard...but now she is controlling her claws much better.) But just a month or so ago, my son came over and pointed to a blood drip going down my left leg near the ankle, and I missed that one and have no idea where it came from... and I am thinking a deer fly perhaps?

My goal? to NOT end up in a wheel chair in my forseeable future.

So I apologize for having to pointedly give you that link.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote