View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Here is the main AlkaSeltzer thread:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ht=AlkaSeltzer

Please read the warnings at the end of the thread regarding the aspirin content, and the alternate types of things to try instead.
Take aspirin only with the approval of your doctor, regularly, and watch for any signs of increased bleeding. Sometimes you can get by with only one of the AlkaSeltzer tablets, so try that too. When it works it is wonderful, but it will not work for everyone equally.

Burning mouth can come from B12 deficiency. Some of the other B's are sometimes listed for this problem. So trying a B-complex might be helpful.

Sucking on candies, mints, various chewing gums and even the Triclosan in many toothpastes can be a culprit. Many of the fancy new toothpastes have Triclosan in them, and this has appeared in studies to cause mouth irritation.

If there are white patches with redness...that can be yeast infection, which can come from taking steroids or immune suppressing drugs or antibiotics. A doctor needs to look at your mouth to decide that.

Thanks so much for the alkaseltzer link. I had no idea it contained aspirin...even though it absorbs quickly and does not linger in the stomach. I'm on heparin injections and aspirin already for antiphospholipid syndrome and stroke history, so the regular alkaseltzer will have to wait for approval by my hematologist. I may try the Alkaseltzer Gold, just to see if it makes a difference.

My B-12 was about 830 at last check so I should be fine there and I never chew gum or suck on mints/candies.

When this started (infrequently) I looked for signs of redness or white patches, but nothing unusual. There is no burning or pain until I eat and then for a while after. It's a strange symptom indeed, but feels very much like other nerve pain.

Thanks for the input.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote