View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Liza Jane:

You said: "did Alan have any anti-nerve antibodies at all? Did they decide to do this just because he had a high csf protein, and nothing else, or were there other antibodies? Also, would you say he is having an exacerbation over his normal level of neuropathy?"

Well, to be honest, all I remember (during our visits with Dr. Goldfarb is that she checked his test results and said "oh, he has elevated protein, that makes him eligible for IVIG, don't worry, I'll get him approved, and she did and now he's doing it". Don't know anything about anti-nerve antibodies, sorry!!!

Now you ask if he has had any exacerbation over his normal level of neuropathy? I take it you are asking if his neuropathy has changed or gotten worse, is this what you are asking? I can answer this one in a flash. He has not gotten worse, in fact, according to the fact that I just came home and left him doing yoga, I'd say he's feeling a lot better. He is able to lie more on his back then he ever could and normally, he would have to be walking around to get the PN to stop. He is NOT doing that in his room at Methodist. He watches tv. He sits and lies down on the bed. Oh he does get up. Like today, after his infusion ended (from 6 a.m.), around 1 p.m. he took a shower. Then I put lotion on arms and legs and face. He does have very dry skin so the lotion helps. I did notice a flare up of his psoriasis around his ears and on his arm. That seemd out of place. Maybe the anti-bodies are causing this to flare up. I have no idea. But the PN had definitely NOT gotten any worse. And in fact, seems to be easing up. I hope this is just not wishful thinking because from what I have read about IVIG, this is no immediate fixer-upper. It takes time. But I just got off the phone and he's chattering away and he's not in pain.

But remember he is still taking his cymbalta 120 a day. But before the ivig, even the cymbalta did not take the PN away completely.

So, all I can say is, he's doing fine, he only had a slight headache today, his PN is slightly improved and that's a good thing.

And tomorrow the neurosurgeon is supposed to pop in and discuss his spinal stenosis stuff. I hope I'm there when the guy shows up. This doctor already has the mri films of Alan's lower back. So we shall see!!!!!

Hope you're doing okay, Liza Jane

and hugs to you to my Dear Dahlek!!!!!

mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote