View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bipolar teenager

Hi I am new on here. I have a 18 year old step daughter who was dx when she was 9. She lived with her mother for many years and when she was 12 she came to live with me and her father. She has had many ups and downs and for many years my husband didn't believe she was bipolar he thought of it as a parenting problem with her mother.

It was about a year into her moving in with us that he finally seen all the things her mother was explaning was happening. When she hit 16 things went from bad to worse. We finally found a dr that found a wonderful medication for her that seemed to work.
We still had outbursts of anger, crying, and violence. She would rage for hours and then cry for hours because she felt so bad. She ison the verge of dilusional as in what she hears is not what is being said she hears what she wants and she lies all the time.

In feb of this year she turned 18 and decided she was a grown up and could handle everthing on her own, She has told everyone that is her friend that we are horrible to her, we yell at her every single day and that we ground her weekly. She hasnn't been grounded in 6 months nor has she been yelled at. About 2 weeks ago she decided she didn't need her meds anymore and stopped taking them. She said she was all better and didn't need them.
A week after that she walked out of the house adn went to her boyfriends and told his parents that we kicked her out of the house which is completely not true. Now that she is off her meds I am worried what kind of symptoms she is going to show.

Her boyfriends mother showed up on our doorstep last night and proceeded to tell us that she didn't believe our child needed to be on any medication and she was not going to let her take it. That our daughter was welcome to live with her and her son.
I am at a loss, we have done everything we could to help her and get her the treatment that she needed. Now she is out of the house adn I am scared of what is going to happen. I don't know if her cycling is goig to start again or if she has the power to control her rages, depression and suicidal thoughts, She is a sick child who really has the mentallity of a 14 year old.
She is not independant enough to take care of herself. She would go days at a time without showering and she wouldn't want to get out of bed, when she was taking her meds. Does anyone out there have a story somewhat similar or have any advice for me on what to expect?

I am hurt and really frightened by this choice of hers and don'tknwo how to handle it. I don't know if she can supress her bipolar or if it will eventually come to the surface greater than before because she isn't taking her meds. I am really confused and any help would be better than me sitting her worrying. Thank you
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-29-2011)