View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Annie,

The first paper is authored by 2 people who still think that it is "impossible" to have a normal SFEMG.
Quite likely all the patients they describe had a dianogstic SFEMG, and were diagnosed relatively early. Therefore their long term outcome was good.
It is quite different in patients with a normal SFEMG.

It just makes me more determined to do what I can to change this. Because, quite likely the time of diagnosis and treatment is crucial just like in any other disease.

There are quite a few studies that show that thymectomy has no place in seronegative/MuSK MG. And quite a few neurologists that are unaware of that.

In fact the most open-minded and innovative studies come from the far east (not india). But, are not accepted by most of the narrow minded western neurology community. Sometimes I think that the SFEMG was planted in their mind, to the extent that they become deaf and blind to anything else. But, I think and hope that this will eventually change.

Many patients who are diagnosed and treated early, can do very well without enormous amounts of drugs. If you wait for years until you start giving treatment, chances are that you will have a relatively resistant disease, that even with enormous amounts of medications with all their side effects will not respond very well.

Again, those studies and surveys are based on patients who were easy to diagnose and treat, not on people like Chloe Atkins, you or me. And we are only the edge of the ice-berg, because we can talk and write about what we have been through, but I am sure there are many others who silently accept the verdict, when being told that it is all in their head.

My son said to me a while ago, that if I wasn't a physician, most likely I would either be in a psychiatric ward or dead by now. Probably he is right.
When I read the book by Chloe Atkins I realized how "fortunate" I am. (compared to her). And I couldn't help thinking how many others are there we don't even know about.

20% of MG patients will not have antibodies. Out of those about 50% will have a normal SFEMG. so we are talking roughly of 10% of the MG patients (patients with clinically evident MG who have no other alternative diagnosis other then various ill-defiined psychiatric problems), who are walking around undiagnosed. Some who may have a severe and life-threatening illness.

World-wide this is a significant number of patients no one in the medical community knows or cares about. But, I do.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (06-30-2011), rach73 (06-30-2011), shalynn (06-30-2011)