View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

mrs D -

Thanks for all your hard work. I was aware of but overlooked (because they just slipped my mind, or what's left of it) the issues with serotonin syndrome, possibly because I can't tolerate SSRIs and the dose I take of Desipramine (10 mg./day) is so low that my psychopharmacologist considered any potentiation worth the risk. Still, my bad for not flagging the issue.

And the point that you make about younger docs in a hurry is a good one. Utterly inapplicable to my case, but that's beside the point.

I guess that at only 20 mg./day, it's got to be a professional judgment call. That said, are you aware of any information actually demonstrating that 20 mg./day of quinidine can trigger significant cardiac issues of any sort in a person with a clean EKG, genetic predisposition or not?

And then again, one guy's "making drugs too strong" is another's potentiation. Especially if it means avoiding some of the side effects that would otherwise be associated with increases doses of the other drug, e.g., DM potentiates opioids without increasing the risk of greater GI issues at higher doses.

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote