View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Alice, Have you read this yet? At least someone is looking at MuSK MG patients. Hope you're doing okay.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21674519

Annie
Annie - Thanks for sharing that article. Seems to me that it's a good thing - connecting international clinical databases and doing population studies / reviews / whatever you want to call it to develop scientific results that can be used for further research or to improve clinical treatment. I know patient recruitment is one of the major obstacles for MG research, due to the rarity of the disease, so (in my opinion, not that its worth much) it's good to see them working internationally and using a database that can help overcome the patient recruitment issues.

It's interesting that PEX was so much more effective than IVIg in the MuSK+ patients reviewed - I saw results from another study comparing the effectiveness of IVIg and PEX, but not limited to just MuSK patients, and there wasn't a significant difference in their effectiveness. That's also interesting that most of the MuSK+ patients were female.

Alice - can you explain what you mean by saying that 2 of the doctors who wrote that article think it's impossible to have a normal SFEMG? I don't know your full story, but I remember reading that you had a hard time with diagnosis and treatment, so maybe is that what you're referring to? I also don't understand the connection between SFEMG and this article, since it seems this article was focused on the limited purpose of describing characteristics of MuSK-antibody-positive patients in these 2 databases, not the accuracy or use of SFEMG as a diagnostic tool. Maybe I'm missing something, since I can only see the abstract and I gather from Annie's comment you can see the full article?
Jenn220 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (07-01-2011)