View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default off topic: crazy thyroid problems

Not me (I have just normal Graves), my 19-year-old daughter. Labs say hypo. Uptake scan says clearly Graves (hyper). Antibodies say clearly Hashimoto's (hypo). Symptoms say hyper. Endo says: I can't treat this until it declares itself.

I think she has Hashitoxicosis, which is Hashimoto's (hypo) with frequent hyper surges. Evidently that's one of those diseases that doctors don't believe in. Even if they did, how to treat it? You can't suppress if she's hypo, but you can't give her synthroid if she's also hyper. I suggested the "block and replace" treatment--suppressants to shut her thyroid down and synthroid to bring her up to normal--but my endo said, "Oh, no, we don't do that any more! That can really mess you up." That may be true. I don't know.

Here we go again. This reminds me so much of my own MG journey. She's obviously sick and even has some numbers on paper to prove it. But evidently when the numbers don't match the symptoms, the numbers win out.

I guess I'm just venting, knowing that all of you will understand my frustration. Thanks.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote