View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We both know that unfortunately you do not have "occular MG". We also both know that many times neurologists (even those who want to help and care) get totally confused by this illness.

I had a patient with "occular MG" who was referred to me by his neurologist, who I know is a fairly good and caring physician. The reason for the referral was symptomatic anemia, as he was having increasing episodes of shortness of breath. It didn't take me long to understand that he has significant respiratory muscle involvement, and send him for the right tests. I then sent him to my pulmonologist (who learned about MG from all the mistakes he did with me) who gave him proper NIV support. Only then was his neurologist ready to "consider" the possibility of generalized MG.

It doesn't sound as if your current neurologist is intentionally harming you, it is more likely that he just lacks the knowledge and understanding required. Possibly a clear letter from your pulmonologist could help.( I am saying a clear letter, because many times pulmonologists write letters that neurologists are incapable of understanding. they then interpret them any way that suits them).

As you know, I too had the kind of experiences you are describing, but don't want to elaborate about them here. Don't let them make you lose hope.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote