View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with Mark's observation about HDTV - I think it provides too much input to the brain (at least for me). I've basically stopped watching all television/movies until I get better. Some things that have helped me reduce my overall daily "intake" of stimulation include:

- Adding curtains to my bedroom to create a darker environment (before I had semi-useless blinds only)

- Placing a time limit on phone calls (30 mins max, preferably 5-10 mins). Before I would occasionally talk for an hour - I think this contributed to setbacks

- Less time on the computer (say, 20 mins instead of two hours). This is a hard one for me, as the computer is a nice distraction and a link to the outside world. But it's a necessary sacrifice

- Keeping conversations light and short

- Keeping emails short and to the point

- More naps - even non-sleeping ones. I think having some periodic shutdown time helps my brain slow down from the day's stimulation

- Less reading. When I started to feel better initially, I started reading a lot more. I think this was overly taxing for my brain. Now I just skim the newspaper, reading the occasional article, and read short sections (sometimes just a few pages) of the book I'm reading

- Meditation. I don't always do this, but I find 10-20 mins of meditation daily is a good way to slow everything down and promote the "relaxation response"

- For now, short slow walks in the pool in my building instead of short walks outside - less stimulation indoors

It's hard to give up all these things and to be so monastic in my day-to-day life, but I figure my priority at the moment is to heal. First I need to get better; then I can start to add activities back in.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote