View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice md View Post

The point I was referring to, is that the vast majority of the patients (97%) in this series had a diagnostic SFEMG. It also seems (even though it is not clearly mentioned) that the diagnosis was relatively fast. Therefore, the outcome which is overall favorable can not be extrapolated to patients in which it took much longer for the diagnosis of their illness.
Alice - thanks for clarifying this and providing a little more info since this was not in the abstract. I'll have to get a copy so I can read the full article. As for the idea that delayed treatment can make MG harder to treat and achieve optimal results.... I've kinda heard that sentiment all along the way, from various doctors and patients, so I'm a bit surprised that it's such a point of contention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice md View Post
And you are right that I was referring to my own experience. The two authors I was referring to are the ones that lead the approach of "a normal SFEMG rules out MG". Although they seem a bit less amendment about it in this paper and also do mention that it is not clear how MuSK affects the NMJ. This is why I mentioned that I think and hope that this will change.
Hadn't heard this one before... I will definitely have to look into it.

Annie - no need to apologize for only having access to the abstracts! I totally understand that - my problem was connecting the discussion of the SFEMG without the clarification that Alice got that part from the full article, not just the abstract. But I got it now :-)
Jenn220 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote