View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt638 View Post
Wow...10 years!

How dibilitating is her RSD? What level of activity are you two able to do? Have you raised children around the disease and how has it affected them? How long have you and your wife been together? My wife and I were best friends for about 6 years before we married about 5 years ago. Now she wants the best for me and our kids...and she thinks that will be without her. Sometimes I think she is right, but the fact of te matter is that she is part of our family and needs us. What kind of lesson would I be teaching our children if I judged people by their health or intolerance of others?

I think we probably could pay for the treatment up front (if we could afford it) and then fight to get it paid...but really we just need to have it covered and worry about other costs (co-pays, plane tickets, hotels, etc.)

Thanks!
We haggled with the insurance company BCBS who rejected payment for ketamine infusion, but it was brief, not long at all, maybe a couple of weeks until they approved it with a letter from her doc.
We do not have children, if we did, things could have turned out a bit different. I can't imagine the mess we would have been in. We've been together 30 years. We met when she was 20, I was 21. We are fortunate that she worked for 30 years and eventually was able to receive SSDI and medicare but that is a battle that was stressful and took some years off of me. We did argue constantly and still do sometimes. My wife had her bags packed for a couple of years, ready to bolt, and did a couple of times but came home after a few hours. The reason was she felt the same as your wife---being a burden. But the stress is what really takes a toll on those who have RSD and the trick is to relieve that stress in conguction with decent treatment for her pain. The constant unrelenting pain effects the thinking, always keep that in mind especially where logic is concerned.
However, I did come to the conclusion long ago that even though our long term goals have changed I could not ever leave her. I'll look out for her like I did when she was healthy. So, we changed our plans which aren't bad just not as wealthy. The scaled down plan which has its positives for sure.

As far as activities, well they've changed. My wife can walk even though her RSD has spread to all limbs. Her original injury was her right wrist. One thing I need to learn how to do is go out and have fun on my own because many times she just isn't up to it. She has no problem with me having a night out, its me that hesitates, but not always. If we go out together to socialize somewhere I make sure she has a place or spot she can rest if need be if the music-people get to loud.

If there is anything I do for you guys just let me know.

jim
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RSDjaded (07-01-2011)