View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Vitamin B Questions for Mrs D

Hi Mrs D,
I joined this list a few months ago. I have HCV, lymphoma and vasculitis. I was on interferon for the HCV, which triggered/exacerbated the vasculitis (altho' my current group of Drs dont agree with that) to the point that I almost became immobile. I stopped the interferon. Had a sural nerve biopsy that diagnosed the vasculitis, was treated with pred/cytoxan and rituxan. I still have bad PN but alot of fatigue and pain. My mobility is limited in that after a dys work, I really ant do much but come home and plop.
THats for background.

ANyway, this question is about Vit B levels. Back in 2009, my neurologist took Vit B1 and B12 levels. My B1 was low and the B12 was low normal. I started taking B1 supplements and I had been taking occasional B complex supplements and added a methylcobalamin.

My B12 and B1 had been retested and were ok. I dont always take the B12, maybe once a week. And I stopped the B1 entirely probably over a year ago.

I went to a new hematologist last week who repeated all the B tests. My B12 and B1 seem fine - B12 is 602 (Range 180-914) and B1 137 (Range 70-180).
bUT MY b6 WAS 764.5!!! (Range 20 -125)

I did a google and basically it seems that low levels can be associated with ischemic attacks etc. High levels are found in autistic children.

I want to be able to question my doctor about this at my follow up.

DO you think this was lab error? I'm not metabolizing it properly?

My B complex that I do take daily has 40 mg. Although this is listed as 2000% of the mdr, I saw that B6 excess can cause PN and a toxic dose level is set for 100 mg daily. Well above my dose.
I will stop this multi B.

Do you think this is alarmingly high?

Thanks,
Donna
donnamae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote