View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PN introduction and question

Hello,

I first posted this on the new members section and it was suggested I post it here. I tried to reply to all those who originally responded and didn't seem to do it right, so I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, links and welcomes here... it is very much appreciated.

I will begin the process of researching the information you all gave and the links.

Once again, thank you.

Below is the original post from the the new members section... I am sorry if I am not doing everything correctly as of yet. I hope to navigate better soon....

Hello,

I am new to the boards and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question in the end if I may?

I was diagnosed and treated for lymphoma, an aggressive diffuse large B cell lymphoma that apparently transformed from a slow growing marginal zone B cell lymphoma three years ago. Approximately two years prior to that I started having peripheral neuropathy symptoms in my legs that was insidious and slow to progress. I did have battery of tests, nerve conduction, blood work, etc that confirmed I had axonal peripheral neuropathy at that time; however, it remains idiopathic still. They also confirmed I had a small monoclonal spike IgG lambda type. I did not then nor do I currently have diabetes, although my A1C has sometimes been in the high normal or just above normal range since treatment. The neurologist was responsible for referring me to hematologist/oncologist and my lymphoma was then diagnosed after a biopsy of an enlarged node. My oncologist did not think the lymphoma caused the neuropathy.

Since treatment I also was told that I have borderline glaucoma as my optic nerves where "thin" as the doctor put it but my pressures were normal. I am suppose to go for follow ups every 3 months... however, I cannot afford to at this time and I know very little about the eyes.

I initially took Neurontin when I was first diagnosed with neuropathy (300 mg if I remember correctly) and it helped then, it took the burning pain away but accentuated the numbness. Now I find that I cannot tolerate hardly any medicines after chemo, I seem to be supersensitive. I also found I could not take the neurontin and work, it was simply too sedative. I take no medications now except for a multivitamin and I seem to fair better overall at this time, except for the neuropathy.

I do suffer from severe fatigue, which did get somewhat better with the multivitamins. I also have concentration problems, particularly when I am tired so you will have to forgive me if I am forgetful at times.

Currently, the PN in my legs is about up to my knees and my coordination is worse, especially when I am tired. I believe it is starting in my hands now as I seem to be loosing fine dexterity with dropping things and get occasional shooting pains in my fingers.

The question I had for you all, if I may...

I have had occasional patches of pain that feels very much like an "indian burn" or a bad sunburn that is constant, day and night usually lasting 1-3 days. In the past, I only got it on my right arm. Now I have it in my left inner thigh region with no other accompanying symptom there.

Is this a common symptom of peripheral neuropathy? Also, can PN exacerbate fatigue?

I am in pursuit of researching more about vitamin B and D. It seems complicated but I hope the little bit by "Nature Made for her" I have been taking is helping.

Thank you for your time, c
cward is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote