View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I find it difficult to believe that the US consumes 80% of the world's pain medication. Regardless of what the percentage is, I look for it to go up not down. I don't care how much belly aching various groups and govt agencies do, it is getting harder and harder for chronic painies to get approved for various treatments and therapies due to cut backs. Comfort and quality of life mean little. They have really raised the bar on what is considered improved level of function if you are a senior chronic painie. In short, we are a poor investment. If attitudes don't change (quickly), we are only going to get authorized to get the least expensive pain meds. ie Methadone.

I live by myself and am very dependant on my home health aid as my kids live several hundred miles away and lead very busy lives. I see them about twice a year. The homebound program is being eliminated in my state and that is the program that pays for my home health. I look to be dropped after the first of the year. There are plenty of private pay agencies that do minimal light housekeeping, simple errand running and socialization but they cost a small fortune when your income is 50% below the poverty level. This county has two community based programs which offer similar assistance but the waiting list is huge. I have a friend who has been on a wating list for two years and looks like she will end up in a Medicaid subsidized nursing home in a month or two.

For those of you that are not aware of it, most states received secton 8 voucher money on July 1. If you are are in need of a voucher do a web search for section 8. The location to sign up differs from state to state. In KY the location is kyhousing.org. This is a pre-application form that must be filled out and then they send you that application package and an appt. date to see somebody. I have waited four years just to get on the waiting list. I was on the computer at midnight July 1, filled out the little form and sent it in at 12:02. Several minutes later I got an email saying it was received and filled out properly. Since this info. did not hit the news and most of the property owners knew nothing about this until yesterday, I feel pretty certain that I am way up on my county's list. If you need this sort of assistance and qualify, move quickly as there are always far more applicants than there are vouchers in many cities. As I said, I have been waiting and been paying full value on a handicapped section 8 apt. for four years. Best wishes and a happy holiday weekend to all.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ridehard2208 (07-05-2011)