View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A little more

I decided to post a little more about myself. I first had severe hand pain in 1989 (that was also my first diagnosis from a doctor: severe hand pain). I ended up leaving my job and going back to college. I have been able to get through using Dragon voice dictation software. I started my new job in 1996, and have reduced my hours there two years ago. I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome a few years ago. My doctor referred me to a surgeon, who noted that my pulse dropped down to zero when he raised my left arm to a certain position. He said it was a very strong response to the test("very impressive"). While the pain is greater on my left side, it is bilateral. The surgeon recommended surgery, but my doctor has recommended against surgery. I have been getting by with help from my partner, massage therapy, seeing a trainer at the gym who works with people who have limitations, and some diet and supplements that help me. I feel fortunate after having read some other people's experiences, but still have trouble with other's reactions, especially at 12 step meetings I attend, to the fact that I look fine, but I'm so physically limited. I cannot move folding chairs, or lift very much at all. I don't get groceries or do laundry, and at restaurants sometimes I ask for a plastic cup if they have any classes. Just sitting down, especially in a chair without adequate support, worsens my pain. So, my latest goal is to keep taking care of myself and let go of other people's reactions to me. Well, thank you for listening to me. A question: when do people generally meet in the chat room here?
SteveA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote