View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
When my hands were so bad...when I was 5mos pregnant... I went to a physiatrist rehab MD on referral from the OB/GYN.

After examining me carefully and listening...she had the equipment right there on her table. She knew just where to place the electrode needles and it only took 3 sticks on each arm to confirm how badly my arms really were. That was a very fast EMG and I wasn't even prepared for it. She evaluated it right there. This was 30 yrs ago, and things may have changed.
I showed 80% loss of function in both arms and hands. And she gave me the option for steroid injections in the wrists and I had the right one done, so I could function, but was worried about it all for the baby and didn't do the left. The steroid helped the terrible pain I had while sleeping (like boiling oil going down my arms), and she had me do the wrist splints 24/7 and they helped too. About 90% resolved by the 3 day after delivery, which she said may happen.

I don't recall it being painful, just strange. And since my arms were so bad the needles were nothing really in comparison.

I think it probably varies depending on how thorough they need to be, etc and who does the test. For me I got to see the results right on the window of the machine with her. I got the feeling she was sure about me, just needed confirmation as to degree of the problem.
Mrs. D, since you had neuropathy when you had your children, how did you manage children with this condition? I have a 5 and 8 year old and it scares me to death. Do you have any advice or experiences to share to help me. I have had symptoms for about 2 months now. Thanks a lot! -also on the topic of emg's, I also had a tuning fork test on both feet. It only took a few minutes.
drwk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote