View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry if I come across angry. I am not. I am much worse physically now unf. and don't know if that is temporary. I also suffer from the manic part of sinemet and now realize some of my excitement to help is misread. I have mostly non-functional days now where sinemet made them fairly normal. One little sinemet pill and I could do so much but I cannot take more or start over. Also ardent desire for no one to suffer similarly.

I hope I didn't imply life was rosy na na na making it difficult to read. NOT MY intention. Just a deep desire to prevent early sinemet rx's b/c the side effects are bad esp if ur sensitive. & Til ur sure and to get more opinions.

I'm also very scared to find nobody that can help me detox. I am afraid my doc's one week plan will kill me. That's all. No anger, just relief, excited, scared. Sorry the mania came across as such.

Many of the disorders are not worse or PD related like lyme, dystonia, ET, TIA'S, strokes, migraines. Some like Alzheimer's or toxin exposure not well treated w sinemet & could be fatal. I'm referring to the more benign or nothing as it is believed I may be. I so want better for someone else, I never felt I fit. I was asked if I was married to my dx when told I might not have it. That was all I meant. Do we identify too much? I'm just trying to find a purpose in all of this. I sense there must be one. Sorry for shortness I'm back to one handed again. When I'm typing fast obv too much and I got my feelings hurt when I did not criticize anyone intentionally.

I know so well what sinemet can do as u can see - just advising caution. No desire to even report docs...there were 3 that concurred that dose was ok. THAT was what makes me think the whole protocol is wrong. Young people getting sinemet right away. It is complex....many people posting they were boosting doses. I've been there at docs orders. Not good. I still feel I can't be unique. Advising more people see docs off meds ONLY if safe and with doc ok. That's all.

I meant disease of exclusion as in quote from John Hopkins "all patients with Parkinson's Disease respond to this medication." not true..all people respond to it or DAWS/NMS wouldn't exist. That's all there. Also warning it did cause all of my PD symptoms. Now just very slow and cramps with exacerbated tremor & hyperthermia. All DAWS. The intent was & is only to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
I can certainly understand your anger, but have to say that when I looked to see what the people misdiagnosed were found to have, four of the 12 conditions were ones that only a few short years ago were actually called PArkinsons plus disorders, and in many countries are still considered PD variants. MS some times occurs with parkinsonism, and sometimes they occur together, making diagnosis difficult. NPH is not as well-known as it should be but looks very like PD, it should be picked up on an MRI with no problem, so I guess that some of those people were diagnosed a while back before it was publicized. Essential Tremor and PD often masquerade as each other, and are sometimes difficult to differentiate, ET also can come with parkinsonism. Wilson's disease should be easy to spot, Huntingtons and ALS will most usually show themselves fairly quickly, if they do not they are somewhat atypical. A number of these conditions are very much worse than IPD, are faster developing with worse outcomes. Some of them are initially responsive to dopa, and once that does not work there is little else that does.

Many patients are not immediately diagnosed, it can take years of doctors excluding various conditions until they come to PD. If a patient is dopa responsive then they are treated for PD. But mostly people go to their doctor because something is wrong with them. They do not go for no reason.

There are probably many people who have PD with no dx wondering for years what is wrong with them, but someone has brainwashed them into thinking that aging is like that and it is only to be expected. So it cuts both ways.

I know you have had a rough ride, but PD is a very tough disease to diagnose for all the reasons you have mentioned.

It simply is not right to say that PD is never excluded as a diagnosis, there are many who have gone through batteries of tests over many years, during which they did not have an effective treatment, and had a decresing quality of life. This happens because PD is OFTEN excluded on the grounds of the patient being too young, which can mean anything from about 55 downwards......

It is however not greatg to make a sweeping statement such as patients are married to their diagnosis. Initial treatment with dopa gives a dramatic response to people who are showing a gamut of PD symptoms. And doctors look for that, and if it becomes quickly ineffective they usually look for somethings else.

Arguably people should not be treated if they only have a little tremor in one finger, or their symptoms are not causing them any functional problems.

If you truly do not have PD you have been dealt a really bad card, and your struggles to get off dopa are no easy thing.

On the other hand for people who are struggling with the reality of PD and the reality of medication it can be challenging to read your posts. There can be few of us who have not had a good, almost normal, day who haven't hoped against hope that PD was not real. Or that they could turn back the clock.

There have been a number of people over the years who have been thought to have PD who have been re-diagnosed with something different, or had the PD dx withdrawn and people here are always glad for the ones who get away. When you win your battle with dopa we will be glad that you have got away, too.

There have also been more than a few diagnosed with ET who have after years been told they have PD.

One of the reasons that the PPMI study is so important is because eventually it will lead to more subtypes being found, and the 23&me study will help identify those who have a genetic type of PD, and it maybe that eventually it will differentiate in many disorders each with a different type of treatment.

We are still learning, and our doctors are too.

You say that you are improving, and that things are gradually getting better. I hope this continues, and that you are getting stronger. I also hope that you will come to terms with what has happened to you and find some peace, instead of the anger.

Lindy

Last edited by d0gma; 07-05-2011 at 02:59 AM.
d0gma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (07-06-2011)