Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

What treatments are you on, or lifestyle changes have you made, to help with the Crohn's, Tomo?

My son started out on medications when he was first diagnosed, but he did not like their side effects and so he began to research diet, supplements and other more natural treatments and has found it highly helpful in controlling Crohn's flare-ups.

His focus is primarily to reduce inflammation and make sure the good microbes outnumber any bad ones in his GIT

As I mentioned in your introduction on New Members Forum, keeping stress to as low a level as possible is also essential to his treatment protocol.

He has also learned that not all people with Crohn's can eat the same foods...what some say helps them may not help another person with Crohn's...all dependent on those unique factors in the individual, especially any co-morbid illness or disorders, as well as things like allergies, etc.

Have you ever read the book by Jordan Rubin called The Maker's Diet.
Although my son does not follow the specific diet recommended there, for the reasons I mentioned above re individuals, yet we learned a lot from Jordan's own experience of very severe Crohn's, now in remission for a number of years. (I do think Rubin has become a bit too commercialized but his experience is worth reading, and then glean what you need from the recommendations. His supplements are supposedly very good too, Garden of Life, but IMHO very expensive.)

My son has not had Crohn's pain in a long time, but he has to be very disciplined on what he consumes and does!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote