View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Be careful

Many of us have had periods of thinking we don't really have PD. I know I have on more than one occasion. I would like to offer one small warning to anyone thinking about doing anything dramatic with their medication.

Many years ago my mother-in-law had been diagnosed with PD. She was taking Sinemet among a long list of other drugs and her doctor felt she was being overmedicated, put her in the hospital and pulled all of them.

She walked into the hospital but her legs went into such a spasm that her feet were extended so rigidly she could not stand or sit. Before she left the hospital she could no longer recognize her own son and had to have her Achiles Tendons severed to allow her to sit in a wheelchair. Of course she was never able to walk again.

I realize this story is extreme, but it is true and happened in the course of less than two weeks. So please be careful with self medicating and withdrawing from Parkinson medication. These are powerful drugs and the results from mistakes can be catastrophic.
pkell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (07-06-2011), Bob Dawson (07-05-2011), Jaye (07-05-2011), jeanb (07-05-2011), lindylanka (07-06-2011), soccertese (07-05-2011)