View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Internal a_n_a_l sphincter spams is perhaps my most disabling issue. However, unlike most of you, I have no colon or rectum, as they were removed in 2002 due to severe ulcerative colitis. They then reconstructed my ileum into a "j-pouch" (a reservoir to replace the colon) and reattached it to my a_n_u_s right at the sphincter (called an anastomosis).

Without a colon the stools one passes are not completely neutralized, nor are they nicely compacted and "smooth" like they are when they pass through the large intestine. This means that digestive acids and enzymes are still active, bits of undigestible fiber are present (and can be quite irritating on the way out) and because the small intestine is constantly in motion, bathroom urges are ever present. We j-pouchers have named this "inconvenience" butt-burn, because we tend to suffer severe skin breakdown from leakage.

In addition to all this, I have scar tissue and strictures built up around the anastomosis, and these lead to severe spasming of the internal a-sphincter, which in turn has caused a_n_a_l fissures to develop. If you are feeling a severe knife-like pain or burning, it is likely a fissure causing your pain. Now, add to a fresh cut, which is what a fissure is (in the most tender skin on your body), caustic stool in an imperfect colon-rectum replacement (the j-pouch) . . . you can lose entire days to the bathroom. You have a picture of my life. Fun? No!

I have been on a regimen of regular manual dilation of this internal a-sphincter for some years now, either using a dilator or a gloved digit. I use a compounded ointment containing lidocaine for pain and diltiazem for relaxing the muscle. Some people use nitroglycerine but it can cause terrible head-aches, so I opted for the diltiazem. For several years I had pretty good maintenance of my issue, but lately it has become more difficult to relax that stubborn muscle. (By the way, we do what we have to, right? Self-dilation has become so second nature, I carry a small vial of ointment and gloves in my purse at all times. I have dilated at 29,000' in a tiny airplane bathroom, in a porta-potty, and and many times in public restrooms. You do what you gotta do, right?)

The idea that there may be a herbal approach in vinpocetine is exciting to me. My surgeon's next step was to try botox, but that could render me incontinent, which means not able to leave the house (or the bathroom for that matter) until it wears off. Like I said, incontinence with loose, caustic stools can be terribly disabling, not to mention excruciatingly painful. I would be ecstatic to find some improvement . . . any improvement. I would think I had died and gone to heaven if it controlled the spasms, and the fissures could heal. I might actually be able to go hiking again . . . or even make it through a meal . . . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (07-05-2011), dmplaura (07-05-2011)