View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy same story

I had done 30 sessions of neurofeeback in my life to settle my rather extreme emotions and anxiety. It went perfectly. I called it magic, with my therapist replying in his usual rational tone, "it's not magic, John."

Then, I moved to Colorado, and I had a different neurofeedback provider. At the time it had been about four months since I last did neurofeedback, and we did alpha-stim for about 30 minutes, and neurofeedback for about around 25. Unfortunately, I came home experiencing one of the worst feelings of my entire life. I got home and wright away went looking for my Xanex. But before the medicine had time to kick in, I had a fairly bad panic attack. I wanted to die. I was constantly moving, knee bopping, twiching, etc. The psychological pain was tremendous and it's causes at the time were unexplainable. It was confusing because I almost always came home from neurofeedback feeling very relaxed and peaceful.

I am thinking the cause was overstimulation of my brain. A very uncomfortable feeling really kicked in towards the end of the alpha-stim training, so it couldn't have been completely neurofeedback, and escalated during the neurofeedback. As of now, the Xanex is helping but still I feel very uncomfortable, "overstimulated," and panicked. Paradoxically however I noticed that the usual effects of neurofeedback retained, such as a lowered fear response I usually felt after "T3-T4."

Both me and my therapist have absolutely no idea why this happened. Do any of you? If so, this would be appreciated. And if it really is overstimulation as I guess, how long does it last???

But anyways, I have the same story, or at least a very similar story to all the people here who posted their adverse reactions to the application of modern therapeutic technologies. It sucks, I know.
johnnmillerr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote