View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry for the delay Matt, we've been out of town. What is surprising to me is how quickly she was approved and received a SCS after being diagnosed with RSD. For my wife it took around 2 years before doctors started whispering the name RSD. My wife's approach to RSD (keep in mind everyone has their way of dealing with this monster) is avoid all invasive procedures at all costs. The most invasive procedure she tolerated was a 4 day ketamine infusion and a 1 day lydocain infusion, this after 4-5 years with the disease. No help there. She also will get up a move about, work her gardens/flower beds, cook dinner and pack my lunch. Being idle is not good for those with RSD. Matt you may want to post on the SCS sticky thread also about the issues your wife is having with her SCS.

Matt, your wife most likely feels extremely guilty and has let everyone down, I can not stress that enough. The constant pain is something she is now trying to deal with constantly, every minute, everyday. She may be feeling that she is a drag on the family and must leave. She will need to learn to cope with her condition and others need to help her do that. Not easy with children for sure, but plenty on this board have done it. It just takes time. Stress is what really makes things difficult, money and the lack of pain control is usually the culprit not to mention RSD itself. Also, RSD changes over time. My wife explains it this way in the early days: Sharp burning pain, twinges of electrical pains shooting throughout her limbs. Now she describes it as a deep in the bone pain but not as bad as the early days except this kind of pain spread (I'm sure she'd tell it differently). Make no mistake she is in a lot of pain today but is a different kind. My wife also has a place in our home where she can sit and be alone if she needs it. I will say at this point in time things have improved but still not easy until we institute plans to settle outside of the rat race we now occupy.

Matt, do you have help from extended family members?
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote