View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default air pollution is a smoking gun

I will play devil's advocate and say that it is just the opposite for me. I have never gotten along with humidity, and in MI we have been having 70-90 % humidity plus temps in the 80's - I am rendered near useless; my meds are less effective and I have no energy beyond just trying to move about like a normal person.

In support of air pollution:

-long established that breathing in fine particulate matter can trigger immune response.
-long established that PM linked to prevalence of heart disease and pulmonary disorders like asthma.

-new research targets neurological effects with many studies in highly polluted areas showing higher numbers of reported PD

-smoking gun (2008) Exposure to air pollution causes neuroinflammation, an altered brain innate immune response, and accumulation of Abeta42 and alpha-synuclein starting in childhood. Exposure to air pollution should be considered a risk factor for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, and carriers of the APOE 4 allele could have a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's disease if they reside in a polluted environment.

I honestly do not know why no one is making a fuss over this. Perhaps because the data comes from Mexico? Here is the full text of the article;
it was published in Toxologic Pathology and it is not mere speculation they have the brain imagery in children as young as eleven but mostly in teens; also biochemical measures. In other words they offer living proof.

I started a thread last summer which generated little interest though I would say that this is most likely the major environmental insult for most of us. Interesting isn't it that media and the press continue to promote pesticides as the culprit. Obviously given our love affair with highways, suburban sprawl, and addiction to fossil fuels, no one is too eager to report or discuss air quality. What sickens me is that we are doing this to our children.

This also begs the question does remaining in a highly polluted area affect our progression once we have full blown PD? In other words, if you moved to a much less polluted environment and was properly diagnosed vert early on how would your PD in rural Montana stack up against someone in Minnesota for example when you are compared ten years down the road?

In fact if they bothered to collect any data from us at all; they could probably learn a lot by comparing what rural PD looks like against urban PD here and now. Just some rambling far out ideas that will never happen...

-Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote